Naturopathic Specialist for Fastest Growing Epidemic: Lyme Disease
Tao Vitality Naturopathic Physicians are experienced Lyme Disease specialist for the fastest growing epidemic in the United States that we have ever been faced with.
CDC: “More people are affected with Lyme disease each year than breast cancer”.
The Great Imitator
One of the most undiagnosed and misdiagnosed diseases, especially in CT.
Should be in MOST differential diagnosis in EVERY medical discipline/ specialty since it can affect every system in the body.
Proper diagnosis is crucial in getting the patient the proper treatment.
Lyme causes over 150 symptoms and mimics numerous other diseases
Dispelling Common Lyme Myths
The Facts of Lyme Disease
- Myth – Ticks just carry Lyme disease
- Fact – Many ticks also carry Ehrlichia, Anaplasma, Mycoplasma, Bartonella and Babesia along with other bacteria and viruses.
- Myth – Lyme causes a distinct bulls eye rash
- Fact – Less than 40% of people with Lyme disease get the bull’s eye rash or remember being bit (EM rash = Lyme regardless of test result).
- Myth – Lyme disease is a diagnosis that should be based on a positive Lyme test.
- Fact – According to the CDC website, Lyme disease is the fastest growing epidemic we have been faced with and should be diagnosed based on:
- Symptoms and physical findings
- The possibility of exposure to infected ticks
- *Laboratory testing is helpful if used correctly and performed with validated methods.
*This does not mean that Lyme disease should be diagnosed by laboratory tests alone, which is often the case.
Testing for Lyme disease often gives a false negative. Some sources state Lyme EIA gives 60% false negative and standard Western Blot (MarDx) give 30% false negative
- 1.1-2 days of doxycycline given at the time of a tick bite will prevent Lyme disease.
- 1.21 days of doxycycline, no matter when it is given, will cure Lyme disease.
- 1.21 days of doxycycline will NOT cure Lyme disease unless it is started with in a critical period of time from the tick bite.
- 1.Doxycycline should be given with in 4 days maximum of tick bite and needs to be given for 21 consistent days.
- Once you have Lyme disease, you will always test positive for Lyme disease.
- I have had a multitude of patients who no longer have IgM antibodies after treatment is concluded and many more who lose their positive IgG antibodies as well.
- Lyme disease is curable with 21 days of doxycycline and any remaining symptoms after that course of treatment are the result of Post Lyme Syndrome
- There are many patients who were not diagnosed and treated with in the critical window and because of this have an active infection that further treatment can help
LYME DISEASE CASE CLASSIFICATION BY CDC
A Case with EM, or
A Case of Late Manifestation that is Laboratory Confirmed
Isolation of Borrelia burgdorferi from a clinical sample or
Demonstration of IgM or IgG antibodies to B. burgdorferi in serum or CSF. A two-test approach using a sensitive ELISA or IFA, followed by Western Blots.